About the my journey:

"A Teacher Reborn" is a personal journey about my days and schooling onto becoming an elementary school teacher (called "pre-certification"). To understand the content of this material, start from the very beginning -- kinda like a book. Enjoy! LT Olson

Sunday, January 17, 2010

Chapter X: Diversity

As I have been sidetracked these past few days, it has been awhile since I updated my blog. I am physically exhausted and I'm up to my ears in backed up assignments due to lack of sleep. So.....this will be a very, very, short chapter.

I have this tremendous idea for a lesson to teach in my EOT-class. We are to ponder on what it is that we want to teach our respective assigned class-grade, in which in my case it's second grade. The whole idea of a lesson is to TEACH something that revolves around Washington State's GLE (Grade Level Expectation), albeit reading, writing, or math. That's the easy part. I chose writing skills. I also chose a subject to base their writings on. Here's a huge hint on what my idea is: look at the title. Yup. Diversity. It sounds simple, but the subject itself is way too general.

I have noticed that the children at Roosevelt and Oakes write on these dotted-lined-papers, which looks like this (please excuse the un-eveness as it is a blog-thing):

___________________________________

---------------------------------------------------------
___________________________________

You remember that, right? I sure as heck do! I struggled with writing when I was in the first grade (blech!). I remembered being forced to correctly spell words -- at first grade! These days? Totally different. The children spell phonetically. This is a controversial thing, but I won't go into details.

Anway, I have decided to involve a writing project for the children to write about their diverse backgrounds. Choosing which one -- celebrations (holidays, traditions, etc. ), family vacations, or even family -- is a tough one. The reason why I chose this particular subject is to get an idea on what their family-home-life is like. No....not to be nosy. Their personal lives will serve as a future reference for me to help me avoid sensitive subjects that may cause a negative impact on their social well-being.

As a teacher, I feel that it is my duty to be aware of each child's homelife so I can adjust my lessons accordingly. At the same time I am making sure that their educational/academic needs are met. To do so indirectly through their writings would be a good and safe approach rather than verbally questioning each child which may bring on the possibility of embarassment, or heaven forbid -- social outcasting.

Here a couple of examples on what are insensitive subjects. If the assignment was to write about similarities and differences on their parent's favorite food, then that would be an insensitive subject to those who live in one-parent households. Or...here's an easier one: a subject on what the children do on Christmas day. That would be too specific, and down right insensitive to those who do not celebrate Christmas. I know, I know...there are those who shake their heads in disbelief as they say, "But WE all celebrated Christmas when we went to school!" Sorry, guys and gals, but that's not how it works in today's society. Acceptance is key to a positive learning environment.

Off I go now as I keep on searching for the right subject AND get off my keister to play catch up. Wish me luck.




No comments:

Post a Comment