About the my journey:

"A Teacher Reborn" is a personal journey about my days and schooling onto becoming an elementary school teacher (called "pre-certification"). To understand the content of this material, start from the very beginning -- kinda like a book. Enjoy! LT Olson

Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Chapter IV: A Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day

Wow. Yesterday was an emotional day for me. I am still trying to get over the shock, but at least today was a lot different...a lot better (see next chapter).

I was given the news to resign or get terminated from my position. I was going to walk into HR to offer my demotion, but instead I was forced to resign or get terminated. The reason? I wasn't "assertive" enough with those who were under me, including a gal who was way too assertive, more like passive-aggressive -- supposedly still learning the ropes in her new position. She's been there for five years! How can she NOT KNOW how to handle her position? She's more experienced than I am -- I was there for a year and a half. How can I be assertive when I was being pulled left and right by a couple of people with conflicting ideas and practically telling me on how things should be managed since I started there? Since day one! I was still learning myself! I'm still in disbelief with my mouth hung open for the last 24 hours. They had other questionable events that occured and I had the most perfect explanations to back myself up, but really now? It boils down to not being assertive enough.

But, hey...that is totally okay. I won't go into details, nor will I use this entire chapter to make a big stink about it, but like I said couple chapters ago, it's a blessing in disguise. My supervisor was right about one thing: this will allow me to fully concentrate on continuing my education as an educator. She -- like me -- probably knew that if I continued studying elementary education, and not renew nor continue my education in early childhood, there would be conflict with work (and their methodogy) and school. I think, in a way, she helped me out a great deal; in turn, I helped out the childcare center by eliminating conflicting beliefs about what I'm learning in school and what their philosophy/methodogy is.

I did give her a big, sad hug when I left the office. I think she genuinely felt bad because I later found out from one of my (now ex-) co-workers that she did not show up to work the entire day, which is so unlike her after a visit from the HR office.

Anyhoo...I woke up this morning with a lightbulb that went off in my head: walk into a couple of school offices, speak to the Principals (who are familiar with who I am), and see if there are any job openings. I will have to do that this week. But first I need to update my resume. Thanks to my now "previous" job, I can now add more to my freshly renewed resume. :)

By the way, I am telling everyone that I got laid off since HR-lady told me that I'm on the lay off list anyway from the initial time that they laid me off over the summer, 2009 (I got re-hired in the fall). I'm on that list for the next 3 years. I won't even go into anything about the lay off. That in itself was a complete nightmare. This forced resignation, I'm sure, has a lot to do with budget cuts. It's the only thing that makes sense to me. They do not want to take care of a grievance package for me, so they looked for the little-st things to force me to resign. I think that's why my supervisor looked awful. I do have some awfully GOOD news, though. You'll have to see the next chapter (I'm currently working on it).





No comments:

Post a Comment