About the my journey:

"A Teacher Reborn" is a personal journey about my days and schooling onto becoming an elementary school teacher (called "pre-certification"). To understand the content of this material, start from the very beginning -- kinda like a book. Enjoy! LT Olson

Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Chapter VI: It's a Beautiful Morning

Indeed it was. After I dropped my kids off at their school, I went straight to my practicum site (I think I will use fictional names for protection-sake), Roosevelt Elementary School. The day was absolutley gorgeous: sunny all around and not a cloud in the sky. At forty-seven degree this early in the morning, it was actually very nice. I breathed in the fresh air and walked up the steps to the school. The staff was very friendly and I (finally) introduced myself at their less busiest time. I just wish there was time to talk to their principal, Mrs. Fin. I met her briefly for a quick hand shake as we were introduced after my interview in December. My first impression of her was that she was really down-to-earth. Her school-aged daughter was there, so I got to see her first hand as a mother, which was in a way, quite intriguing to observe.

Growing up, my principals were all these uptight middle-aged looking males. I always imagined them having no children because I never saw them with their children. Even so today, but I do have somewhat of a different view of them now. The principals at my kids' schools are still very principal-looking. Though they still posess that I-mean-business demeanor, the principals of today are much more relaxed and will stop a child in the hall to have a casual conversation.

Although my oldest daughter, "Marin", has a femal principal at her high school, I never met her up close. Mrs. Fin was the first female principal I met. She made quite an impression on me by being a mother first, then being professional. The first day I met her, she was with her daughter in the front of the office. It was a Friday, so it was casual day. Mrs. Fin was in the school's alma mater sweatshirt and jeans. Her daughter had on a reindeer headband. I practically kicked myself (mentally) in the butt for thinking that the lady standing next to her was the principal because SHE was in a suit. I was glad though that I did not stick my hand out to shake the other lady's hand. I casually waited for a sign, for someone to address Mrs. Fin. Sure enough, within seconds, someone called the principal by name. And that was when I stretched my hand out and introduced myself to the school principal.

Well, that was a few weeks ago before school was out for winter break. Today, I was hoping to catch her in her office. This time she was super busy talking to students and parents. I'm thinking of pushing it off until next week. I wanted to see her and thank her for inviting me to her school. That's all.

After I signed in and put on my visitor's badge on, I walked up the hallway steps to Mrs. Dearly's classroom. She wasn't there, but her kindergarten daughter was. I thought, this environment is definitely family oriented. She was helping her mom put papers away in the children's (mail) boxes. She knew who I was so she told me right away where her mother was. As I waited, another child, who I will call "Koen", came in and gave me a smile and asked, "Are you here again to learn to teach?" I told him yes. "Oh, good."

While the two children continued to get to know me I noticed the view outside the window. It was perfectly gorgeous! The suburb's rooftops down below are peeking between different hues and shades of evergreen trees. Beyond that, the tiny snake-like freeway was bustling with cars that look like tiny bugs. But what really struck me was the snow tipped Cascades which accented the clear blue sky's scenery. It was absolutely picturesque. Sceneries, like this one, makes me feel fortunate to live in the beautiful state of Washington.

As I was admiring the scenery outside, Mrs. Dearly walked in. Just to get an idea what she looks like: she is a brunette who seems to be a lot younger than me (I'm 40, proud to say) and a couple inches taller. She dresses professionally and her positive energy emanates throughout the classroom right when she walks in. After she and I greeted each other I lent her a helping hand with things around the classroom. She was doing things around the class as if she could do them with a blindfold on.

As Mrs. Dearly assigned me to put together pamphlets for her phonics group (of five), I noticed countless books in packets and bins. I asked her about spending budget. I think I fell into a shock because in my previous days as a childcare worker, I was given reimbursements to up to $100 per month. Here, as a public school teacher, Mrs. Dearly is allowed $100 to spend on materials the entire school year!! As for reimbursements? No, never. Looking at her walls and floor chock full of learning materials, I now regret giving away books that my children used to read and learning materials that benefitted them during their younger elementary years. I've heard of people generalizing teachers as people who "hoard" things...now I know why. It is actually true. I have to stop cleaning out my closet. More like...I have to stop throwing anything out. My mom has trained me and my brothers to get rid of things that we didn't need. Well..I'll have to break away from that habit.

The morning bell was about to ring --more like buzz. Gone are the loud red ringing bells. Every school that I've been in so far (from Texas to Arizona and now Washington) in the past ten or so years have audible -- not irritatingly loud -- buzzers.

A male teacher, who I will call "Mr. Brad", walked in and introduced himself. He's very new to the school. He's new to elementary education as a matter of fact. He was previously a middle school, but got laid off (damn budget cuts). Roosevelt needed a split teacher for 2nd/3rd grade, so they hired him in October, 2009. Yep. No elementary ed experience. After putting on our coats, the three of us, along with Mrs. Dearly's daughter and Koen, walked down the hallway. On the way, Mrs. Dearly and I walked her daughter outside to line up with her kindergarten classmates. We then walked a bit around the building to meet up with the upper grades and waited a couple more minutes for more children to arrive.

I know I was extremely nervous yesterday for most of the day during observations. I think Mrs. Dearly was, too. Today, though, felt much more different and it seemed that she was much more relaxed as I was, too. I am aware that I represent the university and anything I write down I may have to share with my cohort at the University. When I share my knowledge with my college-cohorts, I'm representing Roosevelt Elementary. When I walk into Roosevelt Elementary, I represent Western Washington University. So...I have to make myself and both schools look good. Being an intern does take a lot responsibility.

Observing the class for part of the morning was once again an inspirational one. Ever since yesterday, the children were not distracted by me -- a guest. Today was a bit different, but in a good way. A few children looked to me for help. I was truly honored (and tickled pink at the same time!). They knew that I'm a teacher "learning to teach", so they trusted me to help them. It felt really nice to TEACH them, to help them with their work. As I was helping, it felt as though it came naturally.

This is it. This is where I belong.


No comments:

Post a Comment