About the my journey:

"A Teacher Reborn" is a personal journey about my days and schooling onto becoming an elementary school teacher (called "pre-certification"). To understand the content of this material, start from the very beginning -- kinda like a book. Enjoy! LT Olson

Thursday, December 2, 2010

Chapter XXXI: Forward and Onward...Success!

I am proud to announce that my practicum supervisor loved my lesson and explained that I improved dramatically from the last time she observed me (85% from 67% a few months ago). Behavioral management was positive, lesson planning as always is easy for me, executing the lesson plan was a success. There was only one HUGE problem: I taught THREE lessons in 30 minutes! Another problem: it was a lesson totally and completely foreign to the kids. They learned how to spell real words for the first time in their lives. We went from phonics straight to spelling to phonic identification through word sorts in a short amount of time. I think I broke the world record on teaching children how to spell this early in 30 minutes, using three lessons.

What I loved most about my presentation is the behavioral management. They were very engaged and attentive! I almost lost them at the very end -- sitting down for an entire half hour is a long time for five and six year olds. It was at this point that I improvised my lesson at the very last minute and went off track on my lesson plan. The great news is that my practicum supervisor loved the change! I was tremendously relieved when she told me that it was okay to improvise "...because teachers do it all the time..." especially when they feel it's necessary.  And it was: the kids were getting antsy.

In its entirety, my practicum supervisor feels that everything I did seem to come naturally to me (yay!).  Itt was a positive lesson and I had fun doing today's lesson. In looking back at my videos, which I do review at home, I become more and more aware of how I teach. I think this has allowed me to become a better teacher. I'm glad that I've been recording my lessons because I can now see the difference between the frist time I posted my presentation until now.  Just so you know...there is still room for improvement.  Little tweaks here and there would make this a perfect lesson.

I did do a video of the PM class. It was a bit more relaxed because my practicum supervisor was already gone (whew! bless her heart -- I love her -- but it was really tense in AM kindergarten. I think the children felt it, too!). I did improvise the lesson at the end and found out that it was too short, but that's okay. I had them add more details to their work just to occupy time.

I apologize for the muffled sound, but if you turn up the volume you might be able to hear the lesson a little clearly.  Also...that thing sticking out of my back pocket? That's my pen. I carry it around as a stress reliever (don't ask, lol!)


AM Kindergarten: Practicum Supervisor's observation (you can't see her -- she's in the back of the classroom with her clipboard in hand):





PM Kindergarten lesson...slightly different and a little longer. No practicum supervisor as you can tell by my relaxed demeanor :)



 Soon after this was done, I picked up my son, who goes to the same school and worked on more homework that was done today.  I made it in time to turn in my practicum experiences. By 30 minutes.  Now that I have all those nitty gritty assignments taken care of, I can now concentrate on more (easy, less work) assignments.

No comments:

Post a Comment