About the my journey:

"A Teacher Reborn" is a personal journey about my days and schooling onto becoming an elementary school teacher (called "pre-certification"). To understand the content of this material, start from the very beginning -- kinda like a book. Enjoy! LT Olson

Friday, December 18, 2009

Prologue

Inspired by the hit movie, "Julie & Julia", I, myself have decided to write my own blog. No, not about cooking. That would make me a copy-cat. This blog will be about my days onto becoming an elementary school teacher. The title says "A Teacher Reborn" because, put simply -- I'm being reborn into a career from an early childhood educator to a much older and broader group of children...elementary children. This change has been in my heart for a long time ever since I started as an intern as an early childhood educator in the early 90's. I will explain that further below.

This change is not only for myself...it's more for my children. I am hoping that I will become a positive influence in their lives as they seek their own goals, hopes and dreams. I take pride in all three of my children, ages 16/girl, 10/girl, and 7/boy. (I haven't decided what pseudonyms to use for them yet as I am a very over protective Mom, but I'll get there sooner, if not, later.) Anyhoo...they are my pride and joys, and the stars and apples of my eyes.

By far, they have been academically successful in their schools. My oldest is in a Running Start program, which she absolutely loves. She's getting a head start into college at a very young age (she hates high school). My 10 year old little girl, whose social-emotional thinking is more of a mature 18 year old, already has set high academic standards for herself. She challenges her mind by reading books such as Shakespeare. If given a sonnet, she can translate it for you. My little boy is an avid reader. He, too, loves to be challenged in reading and math. He is currently reading at third grade level. He's only in the first grade.

Education has always played a big part in my family. Dad graduated Valedictorian in electrical engineering, and Mom got her nursing degree, both from the Philippines in the late 60's. My middle brother graduated with honors in criminal justice (1994), and my youngest brother just recently got his degree in computer engineering. I graduated in 1993 with a Bachelor's of Science in Early Childhood Education. While my middle brother and I attended Chaminade University of Honolulu, our youngest went to college in Idaho a few years later.

After my grandfather -- bless his soul -- worked through blood, sweat and tears to legally get his entire family onto US soil in the early to late 60's, he emphasized that every one of his grandchildren become educated in the USA. I am proud and honored to be the first of his grandchildren to graduate with a college degree in the U.S. from Chaminade University of Honolulu (pronounced "sha-mi-nahd). My brothers soon followed.

I got pregnant during my senior year in college and graduated a month before my daughter was born. Prior to my pregnancy and in the middle of my intership studies as a preschool teacher, I decided that I wanted to teach older children. Working with a group of smaller children was exhausting and overwhelming as I had found out during my internship. However, after having my daughter, it was impossible to continue to go to school to get an MA in elementary ed. My daughter became my priority, so I jumped on the work-wagon right away and stuck with my Bachelor's in Early Childhood Education.

Living in Hawaii was expensive. After my daughter's father and I divorced, she and I moved to Washington State and lived with her father's relatives for a few years. I worked at various childcare centers as a childcare worker. At least with my degree I was qualified to be a pre-school lead teacher at any childcare, except Montessori in which I was required to be certified. I never got that certification thinking that someday I will teach inside a classroom with children sitting at desks.

Before I met my second husband, I tried my hand at working with older children at the YMCA as a summer camp director and before-afterschool childcare. I thought I had the skills and experience necessary to work with older children, but that didn't pan out very well for me, so I went back into preschool teaching. After my husband and I married, I became a stay-at-home mom for several years. As a result of staying home (for a very long time), I did not keep up with the latest on childhood development, but only through my children did I utilize my attained experienced techniques and communication skills to help them nourish their developing minds and personalities.

I did go back to work in 2005, but that lasted only a few months. That's because there were huge changes since I left the childcare scene. Time-outs were no longer being used and social-emotional development and self-help skills played of utmost importance in preschoolers. The reason being that before entering kindergarten, children must be socially/emotionally ready. Academics was no longer a priority. Preschoolers, including toddlers, were being taught to (e.g.) solve social problems. This is all in due part to NAEYC's (National Association for the Education of Young Children) policies. Although NAEYC's birth was in the 1920's, it's continued growth has improved childcare, most particularly in 2001. I will not go into details and specifics. For those who are in childcare understand what those changes are.

By the way, there are always NEW developments, criticisms, and research done about children in the early years. They're always controversial; however, in my own honest and sincere opinion and experience with my own children, there is no "right" way to rear a child. Besides, this blog is NOT about the philosophies and ideas on early childhood education. It's about my days onto becoming a certified elementary teacher.

So here I am 16 years later as I begin my life onto becoming a teacher.....an elementary school teacher.




No comments:

Post a Comment